I am a veteran of both Persian Gulf Wars (Operations Desert Storm and Enduring Freedom) and I served for over 21 years in the Navy as a Logistical Specialist retiring as a Senior Chief in 2013. I have been awarded the Navy Commendation Medal twice.
The core duty of a Logistical Specialist is supply chain management:
- Managing requisitions-tracking & receiving of equipment and materials
needed to sustain mission readiness and operations.
- Reviewing shipments for timeliness, accuracy and contract compliance.
- Managing the command’s Operational Target (OPTAR) or budget
- Administering Blanket Purchase Agreements (BPAs), Purchase Orders (POs)
and Contracted Open Bid purchases,
- Assembling and tracing financial data to evaluate for compliance with federal
- Cradle to grave tracking of available and obligated funds
My last ten years of service were as a senior enlisted leader for four different
commands, which required more human resource and command duties.
- The command duties included assembling teams to provide support for Exercises
and Ship Visits in 16 countries
- Working with Commanding Officers, Executive Officers and other senior ship’s
officers to insure that command requirements are satisfied.
- Liaisoned with Embassy personnel (Ambassador, Deputy Chief of Mission, Chargé
d’Affaires, Defense Attaché, Regional Security Officer), local senior
government and military officials to facilitate Public Affairs events (official
visits, training, receptions, community projects, sporting contests).
- Managed local (in country) contractors (husbanding agents) to make sure
materials and services needed for the ship’s pier side operations are secured,
including any transportation needs for event participates from various nations
(military, civilian, embassy).
I was mobilized to Bahrain shortly after 9/11 and assigned to the Air Mobility Command (AMC) Air Terminal Operations Center (ATOC) as the Capabilities Forecaster. I managed cross-functional operations between terminal, passenger, cargo, postal and tarmac operations to facilitate the rapid movement of passengers and cargo in and out of the operational area. I was a member of the management team that established the contract requirements for the construction of the new AMC terminal.